CG140 : Podcast with Michael Bennett, Professor of Palliative Medicine discussing the opioids in pallative care clinical guideline
Mike Bennett, a Professor in Palliative Medicine at Leeds Institute of Health Sciences and member on the guideline development group discusses the evidence behind the clinical guideline recommendations.
This podcast is 12 minutes in length. It covers issues such as:
- why the guideline has been developed
- the significant changes for prescribers
- how patient concerns about strong opioids should be addressed
- why the guideline recommends the use of morphine as first-line treatment
- why the guideline does not recommend opioid patches as first line treatment
- what is meant by the term ‘break though pain’
- what the likely side effects of taking strong opioids are and how best these can be managed.
This podcast was added on 23 May 2012
If you are unable to see the media player or would like to download the entire audio file: Download.
If you would like to read the transcript of the podcast: Read transcript.
This resource should be used alongside the published guidance. The information does not supersede or replace the guidance itself.
What do you think?
Did this podcast you accessed today meet your requirements, and will it help you to put the NICE guidance into practice?
We value your opinion and are looking for ways to improve our tools. Please complete this short evaluation form.
If you are experiencing problems accessing or using this tool, please email email@example.com
This page was last updated: 19 September 2012