NICE has proposed a set of initiatives to support future and current NHS staff in their education and professional development. With these initiatives in place, staff would work in the NHS with an understanding of the context and values underpinning NICE guidance.
The proposal outlines three sets of educational activities:
- engagement with key partners to ensure NICE themes are considered in study programmes
- education packages and tools to facilitate related learning; and
- support for educational initiatives which develop future leaders in evidence-based healthcare.
NHS staff would be able to work with an understanding of these themes:
- a practical understanding of evidence-based medicine;
- the ‘balancing act' between patients' welfare and the principle of social justice; and
- the barriers and levers to implementing clinical guidelines.
This page was last updated: 14 February 2008